Est. 1996

Our Story

Farm implements, car parts, a liquor store, and then Pastimes. The brick building at 120 Scott Street has been working downtown Ripon for about a century.

120 Scott Street

Pastimes sits in a brick building on Scott Street in downtown Ripon, just east of Watson Street, next to a city parking lot. The patio and lawn out east were not always open space. For decades, other buildings stood there: a livery barn, a car garage, a blacksmith shop, and later a sheet metal works.

The building is part of the Watson Street Commercial Historic District and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Registry paperwork lists a 1930 construction date, but Ripon Historical Society photos show the brick building already standing by 1924.

The Building

A 1913 Sanborn Fire Insurance map shows a house at 120 Scott Street. By 1924 that house was gone, and the brick building you see today was home to Allinson & Heiman Implements.

Charles Allinson and Julius Heiman sold farm machinery here. Phone directories list Allinson & Heiman Implements on Scott Street from 1917 to 1940, then C.H. Heiman Implements into the mid-1940s. The earliest clear photo of the building comes from 1924, taken while the U.S. Post Office across Scott Street was under construction. The Allinson & Heiman sign is right there on the front.

In 1945, Van Metre's Chevrolet and Oldsmobile dealership took over 120 Scott Street for a parts department. Van Metre already owned the garage buildings just east of here. After selling those neighboring buildings in 1963, the company kept 120 Scott for storage for a while.

What happened next is thinner in the record. A Commonwealth Press piece later mentioned the building had been used as a Post Office Annex. Hard proof for that stretch is scarce. By early 1969, the address was headed back into retail.

Next Door, Before the Patio

The outdoor deck side of Pastimes used to be busy ground. An 1892 Sanborn map shows Lewis Trager's livery at what was then 122 Scott Street. Richard Prout later ran the livery and expanded into the building next door.

In 1921 the old Prout livery barn was renovated into the City Garage, a Chevrolet dealership and repair shop. Wilbur Van Metre bought the City Garage in 1938, added Oldsmobile in 1944, and stretched the business into the implement building next door for parts. The garage buildings at 124-126 Scott Street were sold in 1963, used later for auto parts (eventually Napa), and razed sometime after 1992. That cleared the space that is now the patio and lawn.

On the corner of Scott and Blackburn Streets sat John Murtha's blacksmith shop, then Owen Riant's metalwork and welding, then Ripon Sheet Metal Works. By 1956 that corner building was gone. Today it is grass leading out toward Blackburn.

Pastimes Pub & Grille

In February 1969, Riverside Beer Wholesales asked to move the Drive In Liquor license from Eureka Street to 120 Scott Street. The address stayed a liquor store for more than twenty years. In 1985 Harvey and Joy Failor sold Drive In Liquor to Jim and Denise Delong of Chicago, who ran it as J&D Liquor. The license was not renewed in 1991, and the store closed that summer.

In May 1992 the Group of Seven of Oshkosh bought the building. Managing partner Ron Detjen of Berlin said there were no plans for it at the time.

Nick Lueptow, a Ripon High School graduate known around Ripon and Green Lake, purchased the building in 1997 for his restaurant, Pastimes Bar & Grill. The Pastimes logo marks Est. 1996. Ownership has changed since Lueptow opened the place, but the address has stayed a pub and grille ever since.

Sources & Acknowledgments

This history is based on research by Pat Grahn of the Ripon Historical Society, prepared for the Commonwealth Now & Then in Ripon series on Pastimes and the Scott Street block.

Sources cited in that research include Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, Ripon phone directories, Ripon Weekly Press and Commonwealth Press reporting, Ripon Historical Society photo archives, and City Council notes on liquor licensing.

Photos on this page come from that Historical Society material. Thanks to Pat Grahn and the Ripon Historical Society for compiling and sharing it. Visit riponhistory.org.

Archives

Historic Photos

Maps and photos from Ripon Historical Society material compiled by Pat Grahn.

  • 1913 Sanborn Fire Insurance map of Scott Street in Ripon
    1913 Sanborn map covering the Scott Street block.
  • 1924 photo of Allinson and Heiman Implements during Post Office construction
    1924: Allinson & Heiman Implements, the City Garage, and part of the old Prout livery barn.
  • J&D Drive-In Liquor storefront at 120 Scott Street
    J&D Drive-In Liquor at 120 Scott Street, before Pastimes.
  • Historic photo of the Lewis Trager livery on Scott Street
    Lewis Trager livery on Scott Street. That site is now the Pastimes patio.
  • Ripon Sheet Metal Works on the corner of Scott and Blackburn Streets
    Ripon Sheet Metal Works on the Scott and Blackburn corner.
  • 1956 photo of Van Metre's Chevrolet and Oldsmobile on Scott Street
    1956: Van Metre's Chevrolet-Oldsmobile. Pastimes is just visible at far left.
The People

Adam & Kathe

Adam and Kathe are part of Pastimes today. The weekend Chef's Feature changes regularly, so check Facebook or give us a call to find out what he made. More about their chapter here will be added as they share it.

Adam and Kathe holding a burger at Pastimes Pub & Grille
Timeline

Timeline

From the livery days on Scott Street to Pastimes.

  1. Trager's Livery on Scott Street

    An 1892 Sanborn Fire Map shows Lewis Trager's livery at 122 Scott Street, on ground that is now the Pastimes patio. A smaller building sat to the east at 126 Scott Street.

    Undated photo looking northeast at the Lewis Trager livery on Scott Street, with a blacksmith shop on the Blackburn corner. The livery site is now the Pastimes patio.
    Undated photo looking northeast at the Lewis Trager livery on Scott Street, with a blacksmith shop on the Blackburn corner. The livery site is now the Pastimes patio.

    Source: Pat Grahn, Ripon Historical Society

  2. A House at 120 Scott Street

    A 1913 Sanborn Fire Insurance map shows a house at 120 Scott Street, the lot where Pastimes stands today.

    1913 Sanborn Fire Insurance map covering the Scott Street block.
    1913 Sanborn Fire Insurance map covering the Scott Street block.

    Source: Pat Grahn, Ripon Historical Society

  3. Brick Building for Farm Implements

    The house was razed and the present brick building went up for Allinson & Heiman Implements. Charles Allinson leased space north of the post office in 1915 for a farm machinery business. Phone directories list Allinson & Heiman on Scott Street from 1917.

  4. City Garage Replaces the Livery

    The Prout livery property became the City Garage, a Chevrolet dealership and repair shop. The old barn front came down, and a modern garage front went up on Scott Street.

  5. Blacksmith Shop Changes Hands

    Owen Riant bought John Murtha's blacksmith shop on the Scott and Blackburn corner in 1922 after a fire destroyed his Fairwater business. Ripon Sheet Metal Works later occupied that corner.

  6. Caught on Camera Across Scott Street

    While the U.S. Post Office at 220 Blackburn was being built, photographers captured Allinson & Heiman Implements, the City Garage, and part of the old Prout livery barn. It is the earliest clear photo of the Pastimes building.

    1924: Allinson & Heiman Implements (today Pastimes), the City Garage, and part of the old Prout livery barn, taken during Post Office construction.
    1924: Allinson & Heiman Implements (today Pastimes), the City Garage, and part of the old Prout livery barn, taken during Post Office construction.

    Source: Pat Grahn, Ripon Historical Society

  7. Van Metre's Chevrolet & Oldsmobile

    Wilbur Van Metre bought the City Garage in 1938, added Oldsmobile in 1944, and moved parts into 120 Scott Street in 1945. In 1963 he sold the garage buildings at 124-126 Scott but kept 120 Scott for storage.

    1956: Van Metre's Chevrolet-Oldsmobile on Scott Street. The Pastimes building is just visible at the far left. The old sheet metal corner building is already gone.
    1956: Van Metre's Chevrolet-Oldsmobile on Scott Street. The Pastimes building is just visible at the far left. The old sheet metal corner building is already gone.

    Source: Pat Grahn, Ripon Historical Society

  8. Corner Building Comes Down

    Ripon Sheet Metal Works had moved, and the old blacksmith / sheet metal building on the Scott and Blackburn corner was gone. That corner is lawn today.

    Ripon Sheet Metal Works on the Scott and Blackburn corner, next to the Chevrolet garage. That corner is lawn today.
    Ripon Sheet Metal Works on the Scott and Blackburn corner, next to the Chevrolet garage. That corner is lawn today.

    Source: Pat Grahn, Ripon Historical Society

  9. Drive In Liquor, Then J&D Liquor

    Drive In Liquor moved to 120 Scott Street in 1969. In 1985 Harvey and Joy Failor sold it to Jim and Denise Delong, who ran J&D Liquor until the license lapsed and the store closed in 1991.

    J&D Drive-In Liquor at 120 Scott Street, before Pastimes.
    J&D Drive-In Liquor at 120 Scott Street, before Pastimes.

    Source: Pat Grahn, Ripon Historical Society

  10. Group of Seven Buys the Building

    The Group of Seven of Oshkosh purchased 120 Scott Street. Managing partner Ron Detjen of Berlin said there were no plans for the building at the time. The neighboring garage buildings were razed sometime after 1992.

  11. Pastimes Opens

    The Pastimes logo marks Est. 1996. Ripon Historical Society research notes that Nick Lueptow purchased the building in 1997 for Pastimes Bar & Grill. The pub and grille has been here ever since.

History researched and written by Pat Grahn of the Ripon Historical Society for the Commonwealth Now & Then in Ripon series. Visit riponhistory.org.

Have photos, stories, or historical details to share? Call (920) 748-8222.